Introduction to MCNP6
|Date:||Monday June 05, 2023 through Friday June 09, 2023|
|Time:||9:00-11:30 and 1:00-4:00 (US Mountain Time); only AM session on Friday|
|Place:||WebEx Online Environment|
|Prerequisites:||Class attendees are expected to have never used MCNP6 or have very little experience with it.|
This introductory class forms the basis of the LANL-delivered MCNP class curriculum.
The provided examples will be assembled, executed, and examined in real time.
Time will be available to discuss individual questions and problems with MCNP experts.
If time permits, details on more advanced features in the code can be discussed at the attendees' request.
The class will be based on version 6.2 of the MCNP code.
Topics include:New features in MCNP6
Very brief refresher of basic class
Advanced geometry: universes, lattices, repeated structures
Advanced source definitions: repeated sources, surface source read/write
Advanced tallies: repeated tallies, perturbation tallies, pulse-height tallies
Advanced variance reduction: dxtran, weight windows
MCNPTools and more advanced utilities
Please address all correspondence regarding this class to the MCNP Registrar.
Next Steps after Registering
Your registration is not complete until the following documents have been submitted to the MCNP Registrar. Everyone must:
- Submit proof of an MCNP license.
- For those who received access to the MCNP code from RSICC: save or retrieve proof of your RSICC license. Approval information can be obtained from RSICC through your request history. This form, which is automatically emailed to each requester, must be provided as part of your registration request to attend the training course.
- For those who received access to the MCNP code directly from LANL: submit the proof of license you received when access was granted.
- Submit a completed MCNP class request form.
- A frequently asked question is "Why do I have to fill out this form when I just registered?" Unfortunately, the processes that need to be followed to admit students to MCNP classes require these two sets of data to be submitted, processed, and kept separately. We apologize for the inconvenience.
In addition, all non-US citizens must:
- Submit image(s) of all passport name/photo pages.
- Submit image(s) of all visa page(s).
- Submit images of front and back of US Permanent Resident card (i.e., the USCIS I-551 form also known as a "green card"), if applicable.
- Submit detailed résumé or curriculum vitae with the following details (download an example Microsoft Word document):
- Company/school name, location (city/country), position held, and dates of employment (start and end month/year).
- Clearly indicate all citizenships when asked about citizenship. If born in a country not listed in 10 CFR 810, then evidence of non-citizenship and/or renunciation of birth-country citizenship must be provided.
Before the class starts, all participants:
- Must obtain and install the MCNP6 code.
- The executable version is sufficient for class purposes. Directions to request the code from RSICC can be found here. Note that LANL employees follow a different process to acquire access to the MCNP code.
- Must submit registration fee promptly upon notification.
The class fee includes a collection of files with all class slides (over 600), handouts, and other reference material.
There are four payment options, with credit card being the preferred option.
Details about each method follows.
- Credit card (preferred)
- Visa, MasterCard, or Discover Card are accepted for payment.
- Please pay at: http://www.lanl.gov/financial/payments.shtml and select MCNP Training from the dropdown menu.
- Payment Description: Class title and date. If another individual will be making payment on your behalf, please have them include your name in this field.
- Please make out your check (US dollars only) payable to: Los Alamos National Laboratory/UT32
- Make sure your name appears on accompanying documentation with the check.
- Mail the check to:
Los Alamos National Laboratory
P.O. Box 1663, MS P231 Los Alamos, NM 87544 USA
Internal cost code (LANL employees must use this)
Please email the MCNP Registrar with a request for wire transfer bank information.
Please email the MCNP Registrar and provide a complete cost code and organizational code.
Minimum Class Enrollment
There is a minimum number of participants required for each class to be held. Registered class participants will receive an email no later than four weeks (the cut-off date) before the class start date to confirm that the class will be held as scheduled or to announce cancellation due to low enrollment.
If the class is cancelled due to low enrollment, participants may request a refund of any registration fees paid or may request that the fee already paid be credited towards their attendance at a future class.
If you cannot attend the class and cancel your registration less than four weeks in advance, we will be unable to refund any registration fee paid. However, the fee may be applied towards attendance at a future class. Alternatively, another person from your organization may attend in your place, depending on the citizenship of that individual. Contact the MCNP Registrar for further information.
Registrations received within two weeks prior to the start of a class may be accepted on a space-available basis, depending on the citizenship of the person registering.
Registration requests for non-US citizens who are citizens of a country listed in US Regulation 10 CFR 810 are processed by the LANL Foreign Visits Office. This security approval processing is based on requirements issued from the US Department of Energy. The processing normally takes at least 60 days. You must register and provide all requested information by the deadline shown on the MCNP Class Schedule page. Although we can never guarantee that a security approval will be received, we will make every attempt to obtain an answer for your attendance request as soon as possible.
Registration requests for non-US citizens who are citizens of or reside in a country not listed as a Generally Authorized Destination in US Regulation 10 CFR 810 cannot be processed by LANL and will be submitted directly to the Department of Energy.
For a list of 10 CFR 810 countries, please go to the Electronic Code of Federal Regulations, 10 CFR 810.