Using NJOY to Create MCNP ACE Files and Visualize Nuclear Data
|Date:||Monday August 28, 2023 through Friday September 01, 2023|
|Time:||10:00 Monday to 12:00 Friday (US Mountain Time)|
|Place:||Los Alamos, NM, USA|
|Prerequisites:||Class attendees are expected to have some experience with the MCNP code.|
This class will introduce participants to the Evaluated Nuclear Data File (ENDF) format and the NJOY Nuclear Data Processing System that can be used to produce nuclear data application libraries from it.
Time will be available to discuss NJOY capabilities that are of interest to class participants.
The class will be based on version 6.2 on the MCNP code and the current version of the NJOY code, NJOY2016, available here.
Topics include:Introduction to ENDF
History of NJOY
How to obtain the code package and update the source code to create a new executable
Create input decks and examine the associated output from the basic components of NJOY required to produce MCNP continuous energy neutron ACE files and MCNP thermal scattering ACE files
Create input decks for NJOY's PLOTR & VIEWR modules to visualize cross sections and their ratios, scattering angular distributions, & secondary spectra.
Run MCNP with newly processed data.
Create multigroup data files using NJOYs GROUPR module.
Convert incident neutron nuclear data files in the ENDF format into MCNP continuous energy (.c) ACE files,
Plotting nuclear data using NJOY.
Convert ENDF formatted thermal scattering law files into MCNP (.t) ACE files.
Utilize newly processed data in MCNP.
Processing nuclear data into multigroup data files.
Please address all correspondence regarding this class to the MCNP Registrar.
Next Steps after Registering
Your registration is not complete until the following documents have been submitted to the MCNP Registrar. Everyone must:
- Submit proof of an MCNP license.
- For those who received access to the MCNP code from RSICC: save or retrieve proof of your RSICC license. Approval information can be obtained from RSICC through your request history. This form, which is automatically emailed to each requester, must be provided as part of your registration request to attend the training course.
- For those who received access to the MCNP code directly from LANL: submit the proof of license you received when access was granted.
- Submit a completed MCNP class request form.
- A frequently asked question is "Why do I have to fill out this form when I just registered?" Unfortunately, the processes that need to be followed to admit students to MCNP classes require these two sets of data to be submitted, processed, and kept separately. We apologize for the inconvenience.
In addition, all non-US citizens must:
- Submit image(s) of all passport name/photo pages.
- Submit image(s) of all visa page(s).
- Submit images of front and back of US Permanent Resident card (i.e., the USCIS I-551 form also known as a "green card"), if applicable.
- Submit detailed résumé or curriculum vitae with the following details (download an example Microsoft Word document):
- Company/school name, location (city/country), position held, and dates of employment (start and end month/year).
- Clearly indicate all citizenships when asked about citizenship. If born in a country not listed in 10 CFR 810, then evidence of non-citizenship and/or renunciation of birth-country citizenship must be provided.
Before the class starts, all participants:
- Must obtain and install the MCNP6 code.
- The executable version is sufficient for class purposes. Directions to request the code from RSICC can be found here. Note that LANL employees follow a different process to acquire access to the MCNP code.
- Must submit registration fee promptly upon notification.
The class fee includes a collection of files with all class slides (over 600), handouts, and other reference material.
There are four payment options, with credit card being the preferred option.
Details about each method follows.
- Credit card (preferred)
- Visa, MasterCard, or Discover Card are accepted for payment.
- Please pay at: http://www.lanl.gov/financial/payments.shtml and select MCNP Training from the dropdown menu.
- Payment Description: Class title and date. If another individual will be making payment on your behalf, please have them include your name in this field.
- Please make out your check (US dollars only) payable to: Los Alamos National Laboratory/UT32
- Make sure your name appears on accompanying documentation with the check.
- Mail the check to:
Los Alamos National Laboratory
P.O. Box 1663, MS P231 Los Alamos, NM 87544 USA
Internal cost code (LANL employees must use this)
Please email the MCNP Registrar with a request for wire transfer bank information.
Please email the MCNP Registrar and provide a complete cost code and organizational code.
Minimum Class Enrollment
There is a minimum number of participants required for each class to be held. Registered class participants will receive an email no later than four weeks (the cut-off date) before the class start date to confirm that the class will be held as scheduled or to announce cancellation due to low enrollment.
If the class is cancelled due to low enrollment, participants may request a refund of any registration fees paid or may request that the fee already paid be credited towards their attendance at a future class.
If you cannot attend the class and cancel your registration less than four weeks in advance, we will be unable to refund any registration fee paid. However, the fee may be applied towards attendance at a future class. Alternatively, another person from your organization may attend in your place, depending on the citizenship of that individual. Contact the MCNP Registrar for further information.
Registrations received within two weeks prior to the start of a class may be accepted on a space-available basis, depending on the citizenship of the person registering.
Registration requests for non-US citizens who are citizens of a country listed in US Regulation 10 CFR 810 are processed by the LANL Foreign Visits Office. This security approval processing is based on requirements issued from the US Department of Energy. The processing normally takes at least 60 days. You must register and provide all requested information by the deadline shown on the MCNP Class Schedule page. Although we can never guarantee that a security approval will be received, we will make every attempt to obtain an answer for your attendance request as soon as possible.
Registration requests for non-US citizens who are citizens of or reside in a country not listed as a Generally Authorized Destination in US Regulation 10 CFR 810 cannot be processed by LANL and will be submitted directly to the Department of Energy.
For a list of 10 CFR 810 countries, please go to the Electronic Code of Federal Regulations, 10 CFR 810.
Visiting Los Alamos
Visitors to Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) usually fly into either Santa
Fe Regional Airport (SAF) or
International Airport (ABQ).
Google Maps-based driving directions from each are:
Other LANL-focused arrival information is available here
When arriving at Los Alamos National Laboratory, all vehicles pass through a vehicle access portal (VAP) where drivers will
need to present current photo identification such as a state-issued driver's license or LANL-issued badge. Note that
the VAPs on the Pajarito corridor require a LANL-issued badge.
All visitors must obtain a badge as the first part of their visit. The LANL badge office (and the MCNP
classroom) are located in the
Otowi building on Casa Grande
The hours are currently 0700–1530 MDT and badging questions can be answered by
Several of the hotels that serve Los Alamos are:
- Comfort Inn, 2455
Drive, Los Alamos, NM 87544, 505-661-1110, 5 minutes away
- Holiday Inn Express at
Entrada, 60 Entrada, Los Alamos, NM 87544, 505-661-2646, 10 minutes away
- Hampton Inn &
124 State Road 4, White Rock, NM 87547, 505-672-3838, 15 minutes away
- Cities of Gold Casino and Hotel, 10 Cities
Gold Road, Santa Fe, NM 87506, 505-455-0515, 25 minutes away
- Buffalo Thunder Resort Casino, 20
Buffalo Thunder Trail, Santa Fe, NM 87506, 505-455-5555, 30 minutes away
- Homewood Suites Santa Fe, 10 Buffalo
Trail, Santa Fe, NM 87506, 505-455-9100, 30 minutes away
Dining information is available through the Los Alamos Chamber of
Commerce with a downloadable summary here.