MCNP6 for Nuclear Safeguards Practitioners
|Date:||Monday April 29, 2024 through Friday May 03, 2024|
|Time:||10:00 Monday to 12:00 Friday (US Mountain Time)|
|Place:||Los Alamos, NM, USA|
|Prerequisites:||Class attendees are expected to have some experience with the MCNP code.|
Other key dates:
- February 09, 2024, non-US citizen registration deadline.
- April 01, 2024, class go / no-go determination and refundable withdrawal deadline.
- April 15, 2024, late-registration deadline.
See Other Details below for more information on these dates.
The structure of the course consists of a mix of lectures and example problems that are created and executed by course participants in real time. Topics covered include an MCNP basics overview, advanced geometry, nuclear data libraries and material definitions, fixed source definitions, and advanced tallies. Both neutron and gamma-ray detectors will be covered in the course this year. A module on using DRiFT—a detector response function toolkit for MCNP output—will also be included this year. The course concludes with a non-destructive assay optimization exercise. Throughout the course, participants will have the opportunity to discuss individual questions and problems with MCNP and safeguards experts.
The class will be based on version 6.2 of the MCNP code.
Minimum Class Enrollment
There is a minimum number of participants required for each class to be held. Registered class participants will receive an email no later than four weeks before the class start date (by April 01, 2024) notifying them if a class is cancelled because of low enrollment.
If the class is cancelled because of low enrollment, participants may request a refund of any registration fees paid or may request that the fee already paid be credited towards their attendance at a future class.
If you cannot attend the class for another reason and cancel your registration less than four weeks in advance (after April 01, 2024), we will be unable to refund any registration fee paid. However, the fee may be applied towards attendance at a future class. Alternatively, another person from your organization may attend in your place, depending on the citizenship of that individual. Contact the MCNP Registrar for further information.
Registrations received within two weeks prior to the start of a class (after April 15, 2024) may be accepted on a space-available basis and depending on the citizenship of the person registering.
Registration requests for non-US citizens who are citizens of a country listed in US Regulation 10 CFR 810 are processed by the LANL Foreign Visits Office. This security approval processing is based on requirements issued from the US Department of Energy. The processing normally takes at least 60 days. You
Registration requests for non-US citizens who are citizens of or reside in a country not listed as a Generally Authorized Destination in US Regulation 10 CFR 810 cannot be processed by LANL and will be submitted directly to the Department of Energy.
For a list of 10 CFR 810 countries, please go to the Electronic Code of Federal Regulations, 10 CFR 810.
Students who are fully registered and have confirmed payment for the class are ready to attend. This webpage lists the details needed to attend.
However, prior to arrival the student
- Install MCNP6.2.
- In addition to the installation instructions provided with MCNP6.2, a YouTube tutorial for installing MCNP6.2 on Microsoft Windows is available. This video concludes with steps to test the installation to ensure the software is configured as required for most MCNP classes.
- For in-person classes, it is
stronglyrecommended that the installation DVDs also be brought (and a way to read them) in case the code needs to be reinstalled on the student's laptop during the class.
- A download link for a ZIP file containing class materials will be provided to registered and fully paid attendees the week, typically the Thursday, before the class.
- The download is approximately 500 MB and should be fully extracted for use.
Visiting Los Alamos
Google Maps-based driving directions from each are:here.
When arriving at Los Alamos National Laboratory, all vehicles pass through a vehicle access portal (VAP) where drivers will
need to present current photo identification such as a state-issued driver's license or LANL-issued badge. Note that
the VAPs on the Pajarito corridor
Several of the hotels that serve Los Alamos are:
- Comfort Inn, 2455 Trinity Drive, Los Alamos, NM 87544, 505-661-1110, 5 minutes away
- Holiday Inn Express at Entrada, 60 Entrada, Los Alamos, NM 87544, 505-661-2646, 10 minutes away
- Hampton Inn & Suites, 124 State Road 4, White Rock, NM 87547, 505-672-3838, 15 minutes away
- Cities of Gold Casino and Hotel, 10 Cities of Gold Road, Santa Fe, NM 87506, 505-455-0515, 25 minutes away
- Buffalo Thunder Resort Casino, 20 Buffalo Thunder Trail, Santa Fe, NM 87506, 505-455-5555, 30 minutes away
- Homewood Suites Santa Fe, 10 Buffalo Thunder Trail, Santa Fe, NM 87506, 505-455-9100, 30 minutes away